If you have been a blog reader of mine for awhile, you might remember my weekend dish posts. The very first one is here. If you want to see them all, go here. Weekend Dish went by the wayside when we were selling our house and moving to the city. But now we are back!!!!
In this recipe, we cooked two things we have never used before: kale (one of the newest superfoods) and garganelli pasta (square pasta rolled into a tube). When we decided to use kale and make some kind of pasta, I did a little research. Most greens (broccoli rabe, escarole and kale) were paired with sausage in most of the recipes that I had found. I was inspired by this post on Bitchin’ Camaro blog.
1 lb turkey italian sausage
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 can of tomatoes
kale, one big bunch, destemmed and chopped
1 can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
garganelli cooked al dente
1. Remove sausage from casing and crumble into hot pan with olive oil. Brown sausage.
2. Add chickpeas and onions and continue to saute.
3. Add kale and cook about 5 -6 minutes until it wilts.
4. Add can of tomatoes, including juices.
5. Simmer 10 minutes.
Serve over pasta and top with parmesean reggiano.
Notes on this recipe:
1. I was going to put tomatoes and kale in at the same time but there was no room…the pan was completely full of kale. Once the kale cooked down, I added the tomatoes.
2. I forgot to add the garlic early on so I added it when I added the tomatoes.
3. We thought we had bought hot italian sausage but must have gotten the sweet. So we added crushed red pepper flakes before serving.
4. It was really good the first night but we ate it again today for lunch…and it was 10 times better!!!! We will definitely make it again.
5. Hannah loved the sausage and chickpeas but isn’t a big tomato fan.